Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bird Mobile

I have finally finished a mobile for Wren's room. I feel like a terrible mother. Making stuff is my 'thing' yet for some reason I haven't found the energy to make Wren something until now. The knitted cat doll (made to look like our cat Hank) that I began while I was on bed rest during my pregnancy is still sitting in a bag in my closet. It's not even close to being finished. I'm hoping I can be motivated to finish it for Christmas. I love the sight of a hand made toy poking out of the top of a stocking.

My first attempt at a mobile took forever and looked terrible (don't try and colour foam core with markers, for some reason it dries them out and you end up ruining pens and getting really frustrated) and I got really disheartened. I wanted to make Wren something that wasn't too babyish, something she can use to decorate her room as she gets older. I thought the bright red and blue would be a good colour choice for this, and at the same time would be eye-catching and interesting for Wren now.





I hand stitched wool felt, stuffing it with polyfill and embroidered Wren's name and the bird's eyes. To hang it I repurposed some old embroidery hoops. I'm pretty happy with the results and best of all when Wren is in her bedroom she can't take her eyes off it. I'm so happy!

No comments: